Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's in a name

I was lying in bed a 3 AM two nights ago and I heard what I thought was scurrying in the walls behind me and the ceiling above my head. I could'nt sleep thinking about what disgusting vermin were up to while we were laying there oblivious. I was so creeped. I said to Dan , "do you hear that?" ZZZZZZZZsnort was his response.

The upshot is that the next morning I told Dan that I would give in to something that he had been trying to sell me for awhile and let him adopt a cat. I want a huntress in the house. However, I have these serious litter box, fishy food odor issues, so I haven't been a huge cat fan. He went to the Gulf County Humane Society & picked out a tabby about 9 months old. He bought food, a litter box, litter, scoop, canned food, (Ycccch) , stinks. Anyway, she will be spayed on Friday & after that, she can be picked up & brought here.

In the meantime, I discover that the "scurrying" I was hearing was not my imagined vermin but the wind blowing branches of the lemon tree against the walls directly behind & above our bedroom. Too late. I'm committed, or should be.

Once I became committed however, I become obsessed. I'm picking out the perfect spots for bed, eating, litter box etc. I want a scratch post, healthful food, toys, jeweled collar etc. My obsession however seems to have centered on a name. Dan nixed my first four suggestions. Would you immediately dismiss Fiona, Francine, Gracie, Mercedes?

Ok, regrouping, my mind went on a different tack. Who were the catwomen on the Batman series?

Lee Meriweather, Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt. That's it!!! Earthakitty! There's no way I can turn Lee Meriweather into a cool cat name, julienewmar isn't bad, but earthakitty is brilliant. If Dan doesn't agree, I may suggest Wong Foo. Not exactly feminine, but so evocative. Besides, yesterday was Chinese New Year, so that alone would make Wong Foo appropriate.

This whole discussion is moot until I actually lay eyes on this girl. I'm going to leave this issue on the table until I meet her. Still thinkin' though.

No comments:

Post a Comment