Sunday, January 4, 2009

East Coast Food


This is brother Paul in Bradford, PA. Now we're back in Fla. We have lots of snow birds in Port St Joe. Mostly retired military, and today a friend from Wisconsin brought us some cheese. What a treat! While we were in upstate NY, we bought white cheddar, hot cherry peppers and hot Italian sausage. LA (translation, Lower Alabama) is a foodie's wasteland. Friends have tried to send us stuff packed in dry ice & even FedEx can't get it to us in time. It takes too long to get here & arrives spoiled. We did pig while on our trip. We were doing "death by diner" until it got a bit too literal for me. On the way home, I had an ambulance ride to a hosp in VA and a 2 night stay being treated for a heart abnormality. Yes indeed, I overdid it & I guess not being a teenager any more, I had to pay for play. What a bummer.

One of my sweet little families is staying for another week & just came in the office asking if they could pay me on Friday. I trust them. They'll come through. This afternoon I had a guy come in asking if I could beat the weekly rate at a motel down the road. I didn't like his attitude, so I gave him a high quote. This is essentially my home & I claim the right to screen my guests. That doesn't mean that I'm a great judge of character. I'm not. I've been burned plenty of times.

Speaking of diners, the West Chester Diner in PA is a gem. Scenes from the horror movie "The Blob" with Steve McQueen were filmed in the basement. However, the food is the star. Warning, servings are huge! The chef/owner partnered with Paul Prudhomme & what comes out of that kitchen is wonderful. Corned beef hash lovers should charter a plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment