Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'll Never Go Hungry Again!

It had to be my old oven, the pot with a snug fitting lid that wasn't, the misleading recipe or a combination of all three. Since tomorrow I have a late day appt. that won't leave time to cook, I decided to prepare 2 dinners today. I started with tomorrow's which promised that a day's aging would add to the flavor. Rather labor intensive with the browning of the meat, caramelizing of the onions. Eventually, it was in my oven set at 25 degrees lower than recommended and I'm happily going about preparing the second dish of the day for tonight's dinner. Things are smelling good. An hour short of the recommended cook time for dish #1, I start smelling something suspicious. Things in the oven obviously weren't going as planned. I managed to rescue the roast, but my beautifully caramelized onions, Guinness stout and vinegar gravy had started to adhere themselves to the walls of the pot. It's still soaking. Was I ticked? You might say so. Jeez, I hate waste. I felt as if I wasted my time and the ingredients I had to toss. Oh well, tomorrow is another day Scarlett.

No comments:

Post a Comment