Saturday, January 24, 2009

Miss America Tonight

I will not apologize for being a long time Miss America fan. I started following the pageant closely starting in 1954 with the crowning of Evelyn Ay of PA. I can remember her full page swimsuit pic on the front page of the Atlantic City Press, my hometown newspaper. She wasn't quite glam enough for me, but that did not dampen my enthusiasam. The following year was the first televised and when Lee Merriweather was crowned and Bert Parks sang "There she is, Miss America," I bawled as if it was my own 13 year old self walking that runway.

When I became old enough, there was no doubt that I would pursue my dream. I won my county pageant & believe me it was "great to be the queen." The Miss NJ pageant was held in Cape May that year. A local car dealership gave me a red mustang convertible to drive to & from and the contestants were given rooms gratis in local motels. What fun it all was. Riding in the parade, waving to everyone and then actually making it to 3rd runner up to Miss NJ felt really good.

Years later, through a local modeling agency, I got a job doing the stage blocking for future Miss America telecasts. I would stand in for the contestants and winners on the Atlantic City Convention Hall stage while the directors blocked camera angles and microphone placement. One year I was a fit model for Miss America Debra Bryant while she was overseas doing a USO tour with Bob Hope. All her gowns were fitted on me so they would be ready to go when she got home.

So tonight, after 55 years!? I'll still be picking my favs and bawling when the new queen takes that walk. There She Is.

No comments:

Post a Comment