Saturday, January 10, 2009

Internet Date At The DB Motel! Puhleeeez....

This is scary. A couple of days ago, a young (from my point of view) woman came in to inquire about pricing. She wanted to see a room and was adamant about our having WiFi. We do have WiFi, I assured her & took her to see my non-smoking "hawaiian vacation" room even though she was a smoker. All the smoking rooms were occupied at the time. She seemed antsy to me & laughed way to much, so I filed her away as a person we may want to be wary of if she actually called to make a reservation. I told Dan about her in case he took the call.

Well today, Dan got the call. "I think I just talked with your strange girl & she made a reservation for 4 days at the end of next week. She wants to come here this afternoon to confirm her reservation with her debit card, because her boyfriend will be arriving a day before she's due to get here." When she did come in, we had to make sure she wasn't local, because we don't rent to local people for obvious reasons. Dan took care of her & gave her our usual speech. We're not a party place, 10:30 PM is quiet time, because we have guests who get up early to fish, work etc. We expect our guests to respect our property and us, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Again, she's laughing inappropriately & talking way too much. I'm at my desk & can hear everything. When Dan tells her the smoking room we have available has two beds, she starts to panic & asks to see it, so he takes her out to #5 which is currently vacant.

When he came back, he told me she wanted to make sure the beds weren't singles, because the "boyfriend" is a guy she met on the internet & this will be their first date. Hello? Am I the only person out there who thinks this girl is clueless, nuts or desperate? How can she put herself in this kind of jeopardy? I wasn't crazy about her, but I won't be able to help watching out for her as best I can, because she obviously hasn't got the brains or common sense to watch out for herself.

Does anyone remember the TV show from the 50's called Naked City. The tag line was "there are a million stories in the naked city." Well there are at least a hundred stories at the Dixie Belle.

Speaking of stories, there's an author out of Panama City who writes "Florida Noir." I've just started reading him and have very mixed feelings. His name is Michael Lister. I'd love to hear from some of you who have read him. I read his "dark tales of sexual obsession, revenge and despair" called "Another Quiet Night in DESPERATION," and actually felt quite desperate myself by the time I finished. The fictional town of Desperation is without a doubt our little Port St Joe. He even mentions a motel called the Dixie Land Inn. Coincidence? I think not. At least he describes it at clean and private. His full length novel "Blood of the Lamb" is next up on my reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment