Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cavity in dental care

I had a totally different subject in mind for tonight's blog when I received a call from dd Denise. Her son, my grandson, Logan, had a double root canal and two crowns on baby teeth. Is this insurance fraud or what? As a child, I had not so good teeth. My dentist pulled more than a few. Baby teeth have no roots, so the extractions are a minor issue, cheap & not painful for the child.

To compound this travesty, the family dentist not only refused to address the problem, but was rude and insensitive. When referred to a pediatric dentist, Denise was surprised and appalled by the lack of sensitivity toward patient and parent. There was no consultation prior to a radical procedure on 2 baby teeth. Apparently there was a lot of bleeding. Root canal? bleeding? I don't think so. Let me add that 2 teeth were done because the dentist claimed he couldn't be sure which one was causing the discomfort. Hello?? What happened to xrays? Does this guy sound like a total money grabber or what?

My feeling is that the family dentist is getting a kickback from the pediatric dentist and the pede dentist is padding the bill at the expense of a scared little boy & uninformed mother.

Health insurance is a necessity, but also a blank check for unscrupulous medical & dental personnel. We need to closely monitor our medical & dental procedures and charges. Doctors are no better than auto mechanics. It's up to us to chose the best and then make our own informed health decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment