Thursday, January 15, 2009

US Air vs. Hudson River

Every time I start thinking that my aversion to flying may be a tad paranoic, something happens that has me shaking my head again. When I saw the live footage of that US Air plane in the Hudson River this afternoon, my stomach sank. I could see the cockpit, tail and one wing surrounded by rescue boats of all sorts. I saw no people, so wasn't sure if they had gotten out. It was surreal. Thank God that according to Katie Couric all 151 people on board were safe.

A commentator was reassuring us that this particular aircraft is one of the most reliable, with an incredible safety record. Sure it is. That's why I can see it submerged in the Hudson River. The conjecture at this time is that the plane ran into a flock of birds which caused double engine failure and that the pilots should be congratulated for putting her down on the softest surface available.

If that's the case they deserve accolades for saving so many lives. However, I can state unequivocably there is no way I will ever perish in airline disaster. My butt is grounded. For the record, I don't do water either.

No comments:

Post a Comment