Wednesday, September 30, 2009

See All, Know Nothing

From my desk, I can see the entire front of the motel. The front window allows me to see who's approaching the office and of course my security camera in the lobby gives me a look at everyone before I walk to the front desk. This gives me the false impression that I know what's going on. Not.

Case in point. A young woman checked in this evening. When I asked how many people, she told me 2 adults and a 10 month old child. I don't charge for kids under 1 year. It wasn't long after when a pick up truck hauling a man and boy around 10-12 drive up to her room & settle in. At this point, I'm not sure how many people are in there. She paid cash, so I've been had. Not the first time.

A single woman with a reservation came to check in, walked up to the desk and said "what do I need to do." I said, "just pay me $108.58 & we'll be good." "Oh, she said, now? My money won't be available until tomorrow. Regardless of what I'm thinking, I keep my mouth shut & just look at her. " I'm going to have to go back out to my car, call my bank & move some funds around. I'll be right back, she says." We're talking about $108.78 here! Funds? When she returned, her debit card went through, so we're ok. Bizarre, but OK.

Apparently she has her mother with her & needs to take mom to Carrabelle which is about 50 miles to the east. When I told her it was a bit of a haul, she was surprised, because mom told her Carrabelle was just down the road. "I think I'll drop my stuff off & then make mom drive to Carrabelle, because I'm beat & she's driving me crazy."

After the car has been in front of the room for over an hour I look out & see the old lady standing outside the room taking a bunch of curlers out of her hair, arranging her do & checking her reflection in the window. Off they go.


Not even 20 minutes after that, the daughter returns without mom. Now I'm sitting here wondering if the old lady is at the bottom of the canal with a fluffy do and an anchor around her neck.





1 comment:

  1. It must be weird owning the type of business where complete strangers are essentially bedding down in your "home" so to speak. I don't even like it when people who I don't know knock on my door. Nicole could never do what you guys do. She runs in the garage when she gets home at night from work, which is about ten feet, for fear of getting assaulted by someone.

    ReplyDelete