Saturday, October 3, 2009

Cake Boy

Yesterday, I took a reservation from a guy in California who is apparently visiting friends in Port St Joe for Thanksgiving. He's only here for 3 days, but needs a full kitchen because he has to bake a cake. He tells me he is famous for his rum cake.

For 3 years in a row I had a guest I called "fruit & nut boy." He came from Vermont, all by himself & I always ran in to him in the pig buying fruit & nuts, so this new guy has now become "cake boy" in my mind.

When I sent his confirmation, I offered to supply him with a cake pan so he wouldn't have to bring one or, god forbid, try to find one in PSJ. He emailed back gratefully accepting the offer of a bundt pan & could I please include a mixing bowl. What he doesn't know is that the oven in unit #9 hasn't been checked for accuracy in years. I can't bear the thought that my oven could be the cause of cake disaster, so before he gets here I'll check it and let him know how accurate the temp is.

Baking is not like cooking. Baking is science & everything must be just right in order to get the desired results. Trust me, I know. I've had the undesired results way too often.

I know nothing about this guy, but I'm kind of liking him already. A man who bakes can't be all bad, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment