Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rant

Last week I had a dr appt. I was sitting in the waiting room with another woman around my age when the male nurse, at least 20 years younger than either of us, stuck his head out & said Ok young lady, come with me. I looked up & said, "which young lady are you speaking to."

The "young lady" thing irritated me, but I didn't give it a lot of thought until I got home. Then I got even more irritated. Was he my father? NO Was he an older than me by at least 20 yrs? NO Then where the hell does he get off calling me or the other woman in the waiting room "young lady."

When a younger man calls an older women "young lady" it connotes disrespect. It's demeaning and insulting. We deserve a certain amount of respect when being addressed. I'm OK with Ma'am, Mrs. McDonough and the southern tradition of calling an older woman miss, as in
Miss Michele. Calling me by my first name is presumptious but I will accept that.

Due to my age and experience, I feel I deserve a certain amount of respect from those younger than me. A girl would never, ever refer to an older woman as "young lady," so why should we accept it from a young man.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I totally agree. I would rather be called "The Ho"

    ReplyDelete