Friday, March 13, 2009

It's Not Wally


The last fish photo I published was my darling betta, Wally. This one shall go unnamed, because it's my dinner tonight. I know, I know, I'm gagging as we speak.
However, Dan went fishing yesterday & caught the little headless flounder you see here. He remembers that in NJ I was a big fan of flounder.
At the risk of offending all southern fishermen, I have to say that there is no resemblance whatsoever. #1, this sucker has all it's skin on (too small to filet.) #2, where cold water flounder is firm and flaky, the same fish from southern waters is soft and mushy. #3, warm water fish have a fishy taste regardless of variety, not to mention all the pollutants and mercury they've sucked up in their lifetimes.
I am going to do my best to disguise the fishy flavor with a heavily herbed mayo and vermouth topping. I'll do as the local restaurants and score the top skin so my spread can seep in while it bakes in the oven.
When DH goes fishing I alway wish him fun rather than luck. Now you know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment