Monday, March 16, 2009

I'm Tired


One of my idols, Candace Bergen, was on Rachal Ray this evening. When she came down the elevator as the "mystery taster," at first I didn't recognize her. This 2008 picture shows her a tad chunky, but tonight, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. She was beautifully dressed, but a beautifully dressed fat lady. Sorry, Candace.


Every day, I beat myself up for being 15 lbs overweight and developing a belly I don't want. If Candace can let it go & accept what age is doing to her body, why can't I? I'm tired (OMG, my mind just flashed to Madeline Kahn singing "I'm Tired" in Blazing Saddles.) I'm tired of trying to look younger & thinner. I'm tired of denying myself & still seeing the scale inch upward, while my clothes shrink.


I remember when grandmothers were allowed to provide cushiony laps for grandchildren. I actually looked forward to that time. When did things change? Why does society now expect us to look good right up to the grave? And why do I still care? It's taking more effort than ever & frankly, I'm tired.






No comments:

Post a Comment