Monday, May 18, 2009

Thees ees my other wife

This is just too good not to share. The backstory is that Juan is a doll faced latino charmer, who has been working on the deep water port & staying with us since February. I've gotten to know him pretty well & like him very much. He's the spokesman for his group of six.

He originally told me his wife & family lived in the Fl Keys. A couple of the other guys have brought their families up here from the Keys for visits & mail comes regularly with south Florida postmarks.

Yesterday, I'm out in the laundry room when Juan comes to the doorway. He asks if I have another room available. Well, next weekend being the Memorial holiday, I told him I only had something for 4 days & asked why. He lowered his voice, smiled sheepishly and said, "my wife is here for a visit, my other wife, from Mexico." If he thought I was going to pass judgement or react with shock, he didn't have to worry. I just told him to give me a couple of minutes to finish up outside & I'd meet him in the office.

When I walked out of the laundry room, he was waiting with a very pretty lady sitting on a chair outside of room # 10.

We all arrive at the office and Juan introduces me to his "wife." "She lives in Mexico City and doesn't speak any english." I shake hands with her & ask her name in espanol. She is Anna Rosa & I introduce myself to her.

After they have 4 days alone in a room of their own, he's moving her into the 2 room kitchen unit he's been sharing. The job is coming to an end and 2 of the guys are moving out this weekend. Juan, his cousin and Anna Rosa will stay until the first week in June.

Thank goodness for cell phones, ...or not. When people want to contact someone staying here, they don't call on the main line anymore. Everyone does cell phones. So much easier to keep multiple spouses from running into each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment