Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bob Dropped By


Last night, one of our guests saw a bobcat in our driveway. Then this morning my neighbor tells me that in the middle of the night she heard a scuffle on her roof and her domestic cat, Mau Mau,screaming like a banshee. I myself have never heard a banshee scream. However, I do believe we had this visitor and just sorry I didn't see it myself.
It's easy to forget that the Florida panhandle is still home to lots of wildlife. We're very rural in a lot of places and there's plenty of critters, most being driven out of their natural environments due to development. A mile west of the motel there's a bear crossing sign. My guess is that the state wouldn't have paid for that sign if there weren't some bears nearby. Bobcats are plentiful in our area, but by nature rather reclusive. I'm guessing that Dan's fish cleaning station might have been an attraction.
I welcome Mr. Bobcat. They're pretty much nocturnal like most domestic cats and they feast on rodents and other small prey (like Mau Mau.)

No comments:

Post a Comment