Friday, July 23, 2010

To Profile Or Not To Profile

Guest #1:  This guy gave me the creeps right off the bat.  I despise it when men walk into public places shirtless.  This one came into the office not only shirtless, but with half a section of chain link fence hanging from his left nipple.  Body piercing is a personal choice, but along with the bare chest, I don't need to see it.  For 2 days, housekeeping couldn't get into his room because he never left it.  As much as I hated to, I agreed to give him another room for a week starting Sunday evening.  I couldn't think of a legitimate reason to refuse him.  At check out today, he wouldn't get out of the room, so I went right in and started stripping beds.  I finally shooed him out to sit in front & wait for his ride.  He had no vehicle of his own.  In his last minute packing he neglected to pick up the freshly rolled joint from the kitchen table.  It smelled like good stuff, so I wasn't about to give it back to him.   I took it in to the DH.  Thinking this would be reason enough to refuse to honor his next reservation, the DH went out and confronted him.  The guy actually said  "That doesn't belong to me...what is it?"  Again, no proof.  What clinched it was the half smoked roach we found hidden under the alarm clock.  While I have no objection to a little recreational smoke now and then, I do object to the damage caused by high, stupid guests.  They have a tendency to burn stuff and the motel is underinsured.

Guest #2:  This was a good looking young man in his 20's.  He came in to inquire about prices and availability wearing some way cool shades and a Crocodile Dundee hat I'm sure he thought was way cool.  While discussing rates, he felt compelled to tell me that he was wrapping up a real estate deal in the pacific northwest and that would free up some funds.  He said this with a straight face.  I hid my smile, since  I heard, "I'm broke and need a cheap place to stay."

Guest #3:  Reservation # 4386 showed up wearing full african regalia.  The dashiki, the hats, the whole (equivilant of) enchilada (in swahili.)  Very refined, very well spoken couple.  This morning I get a call from the gentleman asking if he could make a long distance call from his room.  When I said no, he launched into a long unnecessary story about how he bought a prepaid cell phone & it wasn't working.  He was beginning to get frantic and begged to come to the office and pay me to make a long distance call from my phone because he had to check in with his  parole officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment