Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Hitchhiker


Some of you reading this are going to find it hard to believe, but The Ho & I swear it's true.
The Ho cultivates the bromiliads on her screened in porch & mine is one of her "pups." The hitchhiker used to live with her, then last winter took a trip to Key West in another plant given to girlfriend Carol. Carol is a snowbird & on her way back north she dropped off her plant to The Ho for winter safekeeping and guess who was still living in there? Shortly before she gave me my pup,The Ho sadly told me that the hitchhiker had disappeared. We knew we'd miss him, because he was such an intrepid adventurer.
When I went out to mist my plant today, I thought I saw a new leaf & stuck my finger in there. It moved! Then I looked closer and saw that cute little guy looking back at me. Could it be? I wondered.
When I emailed The Ho today to ask if she thought it was possible she emailed me the following response:
OMG I believe it is him! Can't remember exactly the last time I saw him but I think I brought the plant to you the last time we went to the Sunset which was Aug 12th. When the little tropical storm blew in on the 16th, I took all of the bromeliads out of the plant stands and put them on the floor of the screen porch to protect them from any wind and I hadn't seen him for a few days before that. The little fellow really does like to travel! Gene thinks it is him too, said that the little cracks on the porch are not big enough for him to get through and we didn't find him dead so he must have been in your plant, even though I thought I checked it good. Bet he thinks he is in heaven being outside with so many bugs to eat! How cool, he wintered in Key West last year, spent most of the summer here and now resides at the Dixie Belle Motel! A lot of mornings he would be in the center cup and loved it when I misted the plant, like he was getting a shower. LOL Thanks for the picture, you got a great shot! Now I have to e mail Carol, she will love it. Enjoy the little guy until he decides it is time to move on again! Love Ya,The Ho- Show quoted text ------ Original Message -----
From: Michele McDonough To: Ho Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 3:18 PMSubject: hitchhiker
Hey Ho, did your little froggie hitchhiker disappear before or after you gave me the bromeliad? I was checking the leaves this morning and guess what I found? Love, The QB

No comments:

Post a Comment