Thursday, September 23, 2010

PHS Class of 1960, Our 50th

My 50th high school class reunion was everything I hoped it would be. My only regret was not having enough time to spend with old friends. My classmates have grown with their life experiences into seasoned adults with stories to tell.  Reading their personal comments in our souvenir booklet made me want to talk with each of them and find out more.



We danced, we laughed and we used our two short nights together to reconnect and catch up as best as we could. There was a lot of love in that room. Even though our time together felt short, I’m sure I’m not the only one who couldn’t have partied one more day.


For me it was a five day whirlwind. Amtrak travel is relaxing, but it’s still travel and that took up two days. My DD was my travel companion, and when the granddaughter texted wanting to know what it was like, the DD said, “Go into your closet, put two chairs facing each other and close the door.” She exaggerated, we had a window. Confession: years ago on my first overnighter in a sleeper car, I did a pressed ham as we passed a crossing with a line of waiting cars. Don’t tell anyone though.


Doing the whole glam thing was also a tad stressful. It’s been ten years, our last reunion, since I’ve done the whole nine yards. Around here, I slap on a little makeup when the Ho & I go to lunch once a month. My hair hasn’t been out of a pony tail since last winter. In Florida, wearing hair down feels like wearing a hair hat. NG for heat in the high 90’s. While I was getting ready for Saturday night, the condo was filled with my children and grandchildren. They were shocked when I emerged as glam gran. I told them that just because I don’t do it, doesn’t mean I don’t remember how.


With any luck, I’ll be able to do it again. Ten years is a bit optimistic at our age, so I’m hoping for five and will be looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment