Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Me vs. Rental Car

My friend the Ho is having car problems, which makes me think about my own transportation issues. My weekend visit to New Jersey involved a rental car. Hey, I’ve been driving for over 50 years. I can handle anything, right? Then why did I turn on the windshield washers 17 times before I got out of center city Philadelphia? I’m the first to admit that my eye-hand coordination leaves something to be desired, but damn, just ask my passenger, the DD. I just couldn’t get the whole shifter on the console thing. She would also mention that getting used to the sensitivity of the brakes was another learning experience.



I hated that car. For one thing, it was too close to the ground. I’m a tall girl & I need a tall girl’s car. I drive a totally uncool minivan & I like it. It’s old, the headliner hangs down in front of my face, the engine light is always on, but it starts up every time. The day it doesn’t start up when I need it to is the day I drop that sucker like the junker it is.


One reason I’ll hold on to it until the last mile is that I absolutely cannot deal with automobile salesmen or women. That’s a process I don’t understand. I’m too straightforward to play the game. They piss me off & I piss them off. My current junker I bought on Ebay. Lots of research and a trip to North Carolina to pick it up & et voila, I had wheels I was happy with. No mess, no fuss.


I wish good luck to the Ho & I wish my minivan with only 80,000 miles on it lasts another 50,000 at least.






No comments:

Post a Comment