Saturday, August 8, 2009

New Music Fest In PSJ


Before I start my rant, yes rant about the name of the new music fest here's a quick pic of me in my kitchen plastered with oversized postcards of Atlantic City. No I'm not plastered, the walls are. On the table in front of me is my grandpop's ruby glass cup and saucer etched with "George Hoffman, Atlantic City 1894."
Now, a little history of Port Saint Joe. In the 1840's the original town of St Joseph was devastated by yellow fever which was brought in on a ship. Today there is an historic graveyard where many are buried, some in mass graves.
In an email I received yesterday the Gulf County Chamber of Commerce announced a music fest on September 11 and 12. There will be performers from all over the region featuring music from many genres & it sounds like a great idea with a chance for great success. I'm all for it and even signed up to be a sponsor.
Here's where I have a huge problem. Some genius had a brain fart or something and came up with the name "Yellow Fever Music Fest......catch it!" Apparently a majority of the organizers approved. I'm appalled. Would London have a "Black Plague Music Fest?" Would Hawaii want a "Molokai Leprosy Music Fest?" This train of thought brought back memories of a song parody from my childhood. "Leprosy....is crawling all over me. There goes my eyeball, into my highball..." Great theme song.
Now I'm wondering if our Chamber is going to offer a free shuttle to the graveyard. Or maybe yellow tshirts with a picture of the body carts making their grisly pickups. How about sailor hats to commemorate the sailors who jumped ship & swam the disease to our shores? A signature drink called the "Black Vomit?" Perhaps the festival could be expanded to 3 days because that's how long it took folks to die. Oh well, I think I've made my point.

1 comment:

  1. I am in agreement with you, actually I am appalled. However I do have to tell you I love the postcard prints of Atlantic City and you look great!

    ReplyDelete