Friday, March 11, 2011

Look What The Tide Washed In

I got a call this morning from the DH while he was out roaming around town.  He said:  "There's a huge three masted tall ship docking at the marina downtown."  "Git out!" says I, "Come right back so I can go see it."  Yeah right.  I waited 15 minutes then locked up the lobby, forwarded the business phone to my cell and grabbed my lovely assistant, Shegundala.  We sped to the marina, staying within the speed limit the entire time of course.  (I got stopped for speeding a couple of weeks ago by some local yokel cop with a bug up his ass, but that's another story.)

We're only two miles from the marina, so as soon as we turned right out of our drive we spotted the masts.  That's a sight I never would have expected in little ole Port St Joe.



Isn't she impressive?  I can't wait to go on a free tour.  She's going to be in port here until March 20 and tours are free although donations are welcome.

I can't figure out why.  Why is she here?  I guess I won't know until I take the tour.  Her name is the Peacemaker.  Didn't John Wayne have a gun by that name?  I didn't see any cannon though so I guess the marina isn't in imminent danger.

She's a barquentine rigged as a 3 master.  Overall length is 150' and her height above the waterline 126'.  Tours are from 10 AM til 7.  Tea and cookies with the captain will be served from 7:30 til 10PM. Tea & cookies????  What?  no rum?  no grog?  I think the captain is going to be a little lonely with his tea & cookies.  But that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment