Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Spry???

At my family gathering in NJ a couple of weekends ago,  my oldest grandson, somewhere in the 21 year old category, greeted me with, " Wow, Gramichele you look so good and spry."  Spry?  Spry?  I hate that description of me.  I see a spry  woman as one in her eighties, nineties, etc. dancing on "Dancing With The Stars." What the hell, was he wanting me to do a couple of cartwheels?

Actually, Cloris Leachman would also be offended by being described as spry.  It's a crappy adjective. It's right up there with younger people calling us "young lady."  Don't start me on that one. Ending that particular condescending title is my personal crusade.

We all have a picture of ourselves in our minds and we tend to think others percieve us as we see ourselves.  That is so not true.  I want to be seen as hip, smart, loving, pretty good looking for my age, but damnit, not spry nor a young lady. I'm an old lady and pretty proud that I've made it this far & with my essentials still intact.  I want the respect I've earned. Don't use words or phrases that categorize and demean me  like "spry or young lady."  I will think less of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment