Thursday, June 10, 2010

At Least I Got To Meet Marvin

Had an early Dr. appt in Panama City, then did a litle shopping.  At my Winn Dixie stop, I picked up a sandwich at the deli & was sitting in my car in the parking lot, reading a magazine when 2 little girls knocked on the passenger side window.  I thought they might be selling girl scout cookies, so I lowered the window.  " Your car is leaking gas," one said.  "Yeah, said the other, a lot of gas."  I semi-panicked since I was 30 miles from home.  I threw my sandwich in the trash & floored it to the nearest gas station/convenience store.  The 3 mile trip used up 1/8 tank of gas, so I knew I was in trouble.

As I pulled up to the gas pump, whoooosh....the remaining gas just poured out onto the ground.  In ten seconds the tank was too dry to even turn the engine over.  Since Verizon service is so bad, I've stopped carrying my cell phone and had to borrow one from a clerk at the convenience store.  I called my AARP Motoring Plan.  First they tried to get me to agree to a tow to a Pep Boys 9 miles west.  I live 26 miles east.  Apparently the Pep Boys would give me a 10 % discount as well as kick back to the Motor Club. 

"Sorry kid, nice try, but you're going to have to find someone more gullible.  I want to be towed to Lee's in Port St Joe, where I happen to live."  Over an hour later Marvin from Spud Bubba Wrecking Service shows up.  Marvin was a sweet guy.  He talked the entire 26 mile trip to PSJ.  I know what his last 2 electric bills were, where he likes to take a shower and that one of his 6 cats got sick with a stomach full of pus.  Green pus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment