Monday, May 17, 2010

I Guess You Had to Be There

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a big fan of beauty pageants and will be one of the first to defend them and the integrity involved in selection of the winners. 


Last night, after watching the Miss USA pageant, I had serious doubts. 

The winner is a  pretty girl, but by far, not the prettiest.  She has a bizarre, annoying personality and is so bow-legged she walks like Popeye. 

When the entire 51 were introduced, I was amazed that there were only 3 semi dogs in the group.  They were New Hampshire (no surprise there), New Jersey (from Atco no less) and Miss Virginia (who made it to the top 5.)

OK, the top 15 were announced.  For the most part, a good group, but a few oddballs, like  Virginia.  I was thrilled to see Maine in there.  I'm very partial to the typically homely New England girls and  Maine was a classy beauty. I was blown away by the exquisite face of Miss Colorado.  She, however, seemed young and inexperienced, plus she didn't  carry off swimsuit.  Too pale and not as buff as some of the others.  If she ever gets motivated, look out.  With that face and more pageant experience, she will dominate.  I can't remember everyone, but my top 5 did not include Michigan or Virginia.  Michigan tripped in her evening gown and my guess is because of the  bowed legs, she tripped over her own feet. 

Of the top 5, Miss Oklahoma was outstanding is all respects. Perhaps what nixed her was her not so politically correct  support of state's rights, i.e. Arizona's new immigration law. 

I can't get over the feeling that Mr. Trump, owner of the franchise influenced this one.  Take his judges panel for instance.  Paula Deen, the ultimate people pleaser: Melania Trump, the wife:  a former Miss USA, on the payroll:  some guy who's only claim to fame was his introduction as Mr. Trump's dear friend:  an olympic ice skater, the requisite hispanic male and black athelete and one seemingly real deal, an editor at Glamour mag. 

I'm a good loser, but this finish had a stink to it.  But then again, maybe you had to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment