Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To Cruise Or Not To Cruise

The Ho & I had our monthly therapy session today and over lunch she described the cruise to Mexico she & her DH took last week. It was her first ever ocean cruise. I was fascinated, never having cruised myself. Fear of sea and air travel plus the claustrophobia & nausea involved, makes me a "rubber meets the road" kind of girl.


The Ho & her DH went on a Carnival cruise to Mexico with a group from our local VFW. She has been all over the world with the military but can't swim and has never cruised. I had offered her my barf bracelets, but she demurred, preferring to tough it out. Turns out the girl has sea legs & never had more than a slight queasiness even in rough weather. I couldn't wait to hear every detail. Aren't we all fascinated by the things we're most afraid of?


Being a newbie cruisewise, her ho'ness wasn't totally up on the dress "code" & one evening her clothing choice was subjected to a rude remark by a cruise mate, female of course. I would have decked the b***h, but The Ho having more class than I do, totally ignored the remark and went on to have a terrific evening.


All in all, she felt is was a fun experience, but would make different choices next time. We talked about taking a cruise together sometime in the future. I also have a group of high school friends who cruise together frequently. I envy the fun to be had and have resolved to do more research on cruising and reexamine my feelings and fears.











No comments:

Post a Comment