Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Incommunicado

It's been 9 days since I took to my bed with fever & most of all chills. Under the covers in a sweatsuit & still couldn't get warm.

It started slowly. For a few days prior I was tired and achy, then, wham, I felt like I was hit by one of those log hauling trucks that barrel down my road every day.

By the 4th day, I managed to call my local Doc. I just asked if I could send in a urine sample for testing to see if I had an infection. No, no, of course not. Unless I could drag myself down to his office, how the hell was he going to bill Medicare. Gotta rack up those billable hours you know.

I was smelling like 3 day old road kill, so had to shower, dress & drive myself to his office. Once there, guess what? I was told to pee in a cup. Surprise. This Doc is a know-it-all control freak with a lack of respect for women in general so he yelled at me for waiting so long and threatened me with hospitalization for what he termed a "massive" infection. When I showed proper contrition, he admitted that I could be treated with oral antibiotics and sent me home with a prescription and an appointment for 3 days hence.

After another 3 days shivering under the covers dressed in my hoodie and sweats, back to the office I drive, pee in a cup again, find out that the infection is not responding. Let's bill medicare for another visit and go home with a new prescription.

Today is day 9 and I've been up for a couple of hours twice now. I'm still not feeling a good as I should by now. But at least my brain's working enough for me to let everyone know why I've been so quiet for the last couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment