Monday, February 7, 2011

Scary,But Lucky

The DH & I have been experiencing headaches, lethargy and occasional nausea lately.  He went back to bed at 11 AM yesterday complaining of a "hollow head" headache.  Later in the day, I went to the bedroom to read and also developed a headache I would describe as  "hollow head." 

It came to me in a flash, because my friend The Ho had dear friends who lived in a trailer and suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.  One of them died.  I ran to my computer and looked up symptoms.  Bingo.  I immediately suspected the gas heater, so turned it off & we called the gas company first thing this morning. 

They showed up promptly & declared the heater safe and efficient, but the ancient gas range in the kitchen was emitting dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide.  In a small space like this, the amount of deadly gas could have killed us.  Carbon monoxide is colorless & odorless. 

The gas company techs found that my range was set for way too high a flame and was consequently  blocking the air intake. Thus the danger.  They adjusted the settings, but recommended that if I was going to keep the old range that I should either open a window or turn on an exhaust fan every time I use it.

I'm encouraging those of you with gas appliances to get a carbon monoxide detector or to have your gas company check those appliances yearly.  What a needless death that would have been.  I'm not ready to go yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment